SAM85 has two pistons (rams). The lower one is used for applying the pressure to the sample. The upper one is used to move the upper guide block out of the way. When the upper block is lowered, a 30 cm. spacer is placed between the upper block and the frame, so the upper hydraulic system doesn't have to resist the pressure from the lower ram.
In 2004, a Deformation DIA (DDIA for short) was added; it has an additional two hydraulic systems.
Figure 6.1 Hydraulic System Outline
Low-pressure valves are remotely operated. They can be run from inside or from outside the hutch.
The controls for the Blue or Green circuits are manually controlled using the electrical controls duplicated inside and outside the hutch. The High Pressure (Red) circuit can only be controlled from inside the hutch, with the exception of the Remote-controlled shut-off valve. The motor-driven jack is controlled through the Epics computer control.
To operate SAM's hydraulic system, there are seven steps:
1. Lower the lower ram for clearance. This probably has already been done as the last step of the previous run.
2. Lower the upper ram 30 cm., insert spacer, then raise the upper ram until the upper guide block is against the spacer.
3. Raise the lower guide block until the sample is in contact with the upper anvil.
4. Pressurize system by increasing the pressure on the lower ram.
5. After run is over, depressurize system by lowering the pressure on lower ram.
6. Lower the lower ram.
7. Raise the upper ram, allow lock to close, and remove sample.
Items 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7 are accomplished using the low pressure system, using the electric controls. Items 4 and 5 are done using either of the two high-pressure systems - an air pump, or a piston pump. The piston pump is compuer controlled.
1. Mount a cell assembly and check to see that the lower ram is in the lower position. If not, lower it using procedure outlined in step 6. Also check to see that all valves are in the starting position:
Valves are now remotely operated. They can be run from inside or from outside the hutch. This is for all controls for the Blue or Green lines above.
The dual control system enables the operation of the majority of mechanical and hydraulic functions of SAM85. The system has essentially duplicate controls inside and outside the X-ray safety enclosure. This allows for the maximum control of the press when operating in the shared or parasitic mode and entrance to the X-ray safety enclosure is limited.
The system controls the on/off of hydraulic pumps, the hydraulic valve actuation of the top and bottom anvils, the control of the spacer block and hydraulic pressure relief valve. It enables interlocks, provides indicators and digital readouts, for system safety and operator convenience.
The system consists of a standard powered NIM bin outside the X-ray safety enclosure and an unpowered NIM bin inside. The outside NIM bin provides the power necessary for the operation of this system. The external power source allows for shutdown of the system without entry into the enclosure.
The NIM bins hold standard modules that are (with a few exceptions *) functional equivalents both inside and outside of the enclosure.
# 1 Outside Motor Control Module
- ON / OFF for low pressure hydraulic pump: This switch works in conjunction
with a protected AC control module mounted on the frame near the pump.
- ON / OFF for piston hydraulic pump
- Limit indicators for piston hydraulic pump
- Limit override for piston hydraulic pump
- Red LED digital readout ( % of piston pump stroke )
- Green LED digital readout ( % of piston pump speed )
#1 Inside Motor Control Module
- Motor controls are duplicates of outside
- * Red LED digital readout ( Bottom anvil LVDT position )
- * Green LED digital readout ( Gap LVDT position )
#2 Outside Valve Control Module
- UP / DOWN / OFF ( top anvil movement )
- UP / DOWN / OFF ( Bottom anvil movement )
#2 Inside Valve Control Module
- UP / DOWN / OFF ( top anvil movement )
- UP / DOWN / OFF ( bottom anvil movement )
#3 Outside Spacer Block Control Module
- IN / OUT (spacer block )
- Release (for mechanical top anvil safety lock )
- ON / OFF ( power for pneumatic and electronic spacer block control )
- Indicators for status of the spacer block interlock system
- Ancillary digital readout hydraulic pressure ( bars )
#3 Inside Spacer Block Control Module
- Duplicate of outside spacer block control ( one exception )
- * Power for spacer block control is enabled from the outside module
#4 Outside hydraulic pressure release
- ON / OFF ( hydraulic pressure release )
- Red LED ( Bleed pressure )
- Green LED ( pressurize )
This module works in conjunction with a fused AC power control module mounted on the frame next to the bleed valve. This module is NOT a NIM module and the switch and indicator for inside manual pressure release is on this module.